Friday, November 04, 2005

On a more familial informational news...

Is Your Child Old Enough for a Cell Phone?

Although I am no expert in this arena, I do have children of my own and every week I am asked if I have thought about it "hard", as my 9 year old says, and if I will give her a cell phone soon.
I thought this bit of information would be useful for you, my clients who have children, or if you have relatives who have children who have posed that very delicate question.
After much research I have found a website that provides so much information regarding how to approach the ‘cell phone’ question. It is also a great website for information on other important subjects we face regarding what goes on in our schools.
www.greatschools.net

Here is what I found on cell phones available for the younger school children:
Currently available are the Firefly, Leapfrog’s TickTalk and Wherify Wireless’s Wherifone.

The Firefly offers:
· "Mom" and "Dad" speed-dial keys
· A parent-programmed, PIN-protected phone list
· A 911 button for emergency calls

The TickTalk can:
· Make and receive calls only to pre-approved numbers
· Monitor minutes used
· Double as an educational game platform

The Wherifone comes with:
· A GPS (Global Positioning System) tracking device so that parents can locate their child 24/7
· A 911 button
· A two-way voice speaker system

No comments: